To use Keystone program, you’ll need a computer with an Internet connection and free software programs, which you can download from the Internet.
K12 recommends the use of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox Browser for maximum compatibility with the Online School and other K12 Applications.
Hardware and Browsers (Minimum Recommendations)
Important Note: Users of K12 Issued Computers are encouraged not to upgrade to Windows 10 or Edge (the new browser) at this time. The minimum hardware recommendations to use the program are as follows:
CPU: Intel 1.0 GHz or faster processor (or equivalent)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.0 or higher, Mozilla Firefox 35.0 versions or higher, Chrome 40.0 or higher.
RAM: 1GB of RAM
K12 presently supports the Windows 7 Operating System. The online school should also function with Windows 8 and Windows 10. Windows Vista and Windows XP OS’s are no longer supported by Microsoft and no longer compatible with doing work on the online school.
CPU: PowerPC G4 1 GHz or faster processor; Intel Core Duo 1.83 GHz or faster processor
RAM: 1GB of RAM
Browser: Firefox 35.0 versions or higher, Chrome 40.0 or higher, Safari 7.0 or higher.
Using Mobile Devices with the Online School
Unfortunately, many portable devices do not support the software products required to run the Online School. These devices may include (but not limited to): Chromebooks, iPads, iPhones, iPods, Kindles, eReaders, and the newer Android phone.
The free software below is for both a Windows or Mac computer unless noted:
- Adobe Flash Player 16 or higher (click here)
- Java Runtime Environment SE7 or higher (click here)
- Mozilla Firefox 35.0 versions or higher* (click here)
- Internet Explorer 9.0 or higher (Windows only) (click here)
- Google Chrome 40.0 or higher (click here)
- Adobe Reader 8 or later (click here)
It is highly recommended that a broadband connection be used instead of dial up.
Please note the following if you are using a dial-up connection:
- ALL web acceleration software must be disabled for the school to work properly.
- If you are using NetZero, the 3G or Hi-Speed version of the NetZero software is not able to be used consistently with the Online School. The basic version of the NetZero Software should installed.
- If you are using AOL you must minimize AOL after Connecting and use an approved browser
- If you are using MSN, you cannot use MSN Explorer consistently
- You MUST meet the minimum speed of 56kbps
The amount of data transferred over your Internet connection each month depends on the student’s enrolled course(s). We are not able to provide this information. Please contact their ISP provider if they have concerns.
- Pop-up Blockers can affect your ability to access the Online School
- Internet Security Products, such as Norton, can inhibit your online experience
- Software firewalls installed on your PC often will cause accessibility problems
- Firewalls must have the following ports open to both TCP and UDP traffic to allow access to the OLS: 80, 8080 and 443
- Touchscreens and Wacom tablets can interfere with accessing links in the Online School — please see the manufacturer’s support site for instructions on how to configure these devices to work consistently with Flash Player